Monday, May 7, 2012


The Mets are currently in third place. Although they are not in first place like I would like, they are playing better baseball this year. I know being a Mets fan isn’t the best decision I have made but I will always be a Mets fan. Ever since I young I have been a fan. My dad used to take me and I always dreamed of playing in Shea stadium. I was very blessed to have that opportunity in the summer of 1999. I was playing for the Long Island Braves. That was a travel baseball team. I had a really good summer that year. My batting percentage was really high and I didn't make any errors. At around mid-season, my coach pulled me to the side and told me that I had made the all-star team and that that the game was going to be played at Shea stadium. I was so happy that day. I could not wipe the smile off my face. I could remember getting the stadium and taking a deep breath. My heart was pounding harder and harder the closer I got to the field. I had my dad at my side and we walked side by side through the players’ entrance. I had been to the stadium numerous times but this particular it was something special. I had my video recorder in hand and I just felt like I was in heaven. I walked out to my position and I envisioned the stadium being filled with people cheering for the home team. I also walked to the outfield and laid down on the grass, it felt like a soft rug. As I lay on the grass my life could not get any better. The Mets will always have a special place in my heart no matter what their record is. 

Vocabulary 
1. Mets - one of New York's profession baseball teams
2. Fan – admirer
3. Travel – tour
4. Position – place
5. Numerous – many
6. Particular – specific
7. Percentage – the amount of times I got a hit







Vocabulary Activity 

Grammar Point - Contractions 

contraction is a shortened version of the written and spoken forms of a word, syllable, or word group, created by omission of internal letters.


Examples
I'm --- I am --- Example: I'm waiting for my friend.
I'll --- I will --- Example: I'll see you tomorrow.
I'd --- I had / I would --- Example: I'd better leave now. OR I'd already eaten by the time he arrived.
I've
 --- I have --- Example: I've worked here for many years.



The following sentences all have words that can become contractions.  Decide which words can be a contraction with an apostrophe and write the word in the space.

  1. We are going to the store.
_______           
  1. It is cold outside. 
_______           
  1. He is an engineer.
_______           
  1. She is a good neighbor.
_______           
  1. That is a beautiful necklace.
_______           
  1. I am not using Twitter.
_______           
  1. They are not using the computer now.
_______           
  1. You are welcome.
_______           

No comments:

Post a Comment